Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Unfortunate Creature by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

You're dangerous, planning
to strike in darkness
like some scorpion fiend.

You're like a small bird,
hidden behind leaves.
I can't trust you.
You hide yourself in a clam.
But you're hardly a pearl.
Your mouth has thousands of teeth

sharp as guillotines.
I can't bear to look.
Unfortunately, we have
arrived at the same place.
You're like a sheep
following me everywhere.
I hate the herd mentality.
I want to rush out to the slaughterhouse
and end it all.
You gut me or I gut you.
Everyone in the world
has his anti-hero, his mortal enemy.

Who can I thank
for your presence
in the world?
You are lathered in blood.
Red and purple grapes
are being crushed in those fatal teeth
of yours.

You're an unfortunate creature.
I can only find faults in you.

No comments: